Sunday, August 2, 2009

Question about dry socket causing pain in other teeth?

I visited the OS this morning who told me that what the dentist THOUGHT was a bone fragment in my X-ray is actually dead tissue from having dry socket. He packed it and sent me on my way.





I did ask him if this dry socket is causing me to have pain in my other teeth- the answer was yes, but he did not have time to talk.





My question is: How can the dry socket in my right lower side (from wisdom tooth extraction) be causing my other teeth to hurt? It is weird because the opposite side of my mouth (namely my very back molars) are very sensitive and painful.





Thanks for your help.

Question about dry socket causing pain in other teeth?
I read somewhere online (can't find it now, sorry) that it causes pain in other parts of the mouth because it's 'referred pain" Basically, the way I understood it is, that the pain is a different pain that our body is not used to feeling because it's such a deep pain and stems from the bone being exposed. The brain doesn't know how to handle this pain signal so it can send out other pain signals.
Reply:The pain will actually seem to radiate through your jaw, making it seem like the other teeth are hurting.



download

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net